Wednesday, March 5, 2014

This is life.


So, I have a couple of posts about life that I am still working on, but have heard from a few people that my updates are infrequent and they would like to know more. Here I am obliging to the request!

Life is good, like really good, like comfortably good. This isn't to say I don't miss home or things or people but I honestly couldn't ask for a more contented feeling where I am. I have figured out how to get around on my own, in fact the idea of getting a scooter has crossed my mind once or twice. I have started planning some getaways, with a trip to Kerala and Sri Lanka on the horizon next month. I am looking forward to kaitlyn coming to visit me, and seeing my life here.

At work I am in a stride and it's going well. I work with two case managers who are just amazing, and so I accompany them on home visits and other outings as well as helping in the office with data entry and the things of the sort. My social life is more active here than it ever was at home, and thankfully I am sharing this experience with some of the greatest people who feel so strongly about what we do, the interns and fellows pretty much rock.

I have been terrible at keeping in touch, and that goes for everyone, including the people I am closest with. I struggle with retelling the same story over and over, and honestly India makes me exhausted. Everything I do here is sensory overload, in that walking outside I am stared at, begged, negotiating the proper fare for my auto ride. It is crowded, loud, and hot, but I have begun to think of it as a soundtrack to this part of my life, and I really like it (well, most of the time). I promise I am trying to be better at staying in touch, but feel free to email me, facebook me, and I will return the response!

One of the favorite things I get to do, is go to our field directors office each week, to have dinner with his wife, who is so lovely and gracious to host us and be real with us. That time each week is like a breath of fresh air and really centers me.

Guess what!?!?! I had my first birthday away from home, and it was so amazing. I was awoken by my roommates with a sheet full of balloons being dropped on me, and informed that pancakes were being made. I skyped with my dad and sister and 2 of my nephews, who let me know they missed me (secretly that made me happy, I don't want them to forget me! I know, I know i'm selfishly terrible, kill me). At work they sang to me, we had doughnuts, had a lovely lunch, had my desk space decorate, and was made to wear a beautiful pink sparkly hat. To end the night we went to dinner at a place I got to eat hummus at, holla! Then we completed the celebration with amazing ice cream and a rare find in the nicest auto driver ever! I am so thankful to have the group of people I do here, my time is amazing because they are great. So, I guess 24 doesn't look too terrible, especially with the year I have planned!

I hope you are all doing well. I miss you all a ton and would love to hear how things are, so write me! Continue to pray for the work, my coworkers and team, and for me. I will keep praying for all of you, much love! Oh, crazy I have been here almost 2 months, when did that happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment