Monday, June 16, 2014

A Day Late and a Dollar Short. (a list for my dad)


To my dad who loves me, even when I don't feel lovable.

To my dad who cares for me in the deepest way.

To my dad who forgets that I broke my wrist, but remembers my order at McDonalds.

To my dad who will still take care of me when I'm sick.

To my dad who knows when it's a 'I need a slushy' kind of day.

To my dad who loves more deeply than anyone else I know.

To my dad who is more forgiving than someone who hasn't been wronged.

To my dad who shows mercy is one of his greatest gifts.

To my dad who instilled my desire to travel.

To my dad who doesn't love that I have left, but understands why.

To my dad who says spread your wings, but your house is always waiting.

To my dad who speaks truth even when it is out of style.

To my dad who yodels at the most embarrassing moments.

To my dad who always picks up the accents of where he is traveling.

To my dad who can make a sermon out of almost all life's circumstances.

To my dad who likes to take his shortcuts.

To my dad who says it's a light travel year and then leaves the country twice.

To my dad who is 61 and still has huge dreams that he will eventually complete.

To my dad who finally gave in and let me get my nose pierced.

To my dad who says after each tattoo, 'I don't love you anymore or any less than I did before'.

To my dad who even when he's tired he is the first to take his grandkids in the pool.

To my dad who opens his house to everyone.

To my dad who treats all people, regardless of life choices, equally.

To my dad who cried the whole way home, after dropping me off from college.

To my dad who I am not ashamed to say is one of the people I am closest to in life.

To my dad who supports my insane ideas, and helps me pursue them.

To my dad who even when I am being mean and gross still treats me with kindness.

To my dad who has had reasons to lose his cool with me, has offered me grace.

To my dad who encourages gifts I am scared to share.

To my dad who I am so grateful to have.

Dad, you are truly such an example of so many things. You have shown me how to love, to listen, to be open to learning, to enjoy the adventure, to see the beauty. You have shown me that when life gets hard you can still stay steady. You dad are someone I hope to be like. I hope to have the mercy, compassion, and true concern you have for others. You have already given me the ability to make friends with any strangers, the love of culture, the gift of teaching. You are an example, and I am proud to be your daughter. I hope that you know I love you so much, and that I am forever grateful for all that you have done for me. I am grateful for the patience you have shown me. I am grateful for your willingness to let me go into the world and form my own identity, but also to still be waiting when I need my dad. I am sorry I couldn't be home this year, but we knew that would happen someday, we knew God called me to something this year. And although at the beginning you questioned whether I would stick with the whole year in India, I will forgive you and remember that you were the first to say my flesh doesn't like it but my spirit understands. I love you dad, may you feel love and appreciated every day of the year!

Love,

your littlest girl <3

No comments:

Post a Comment