Thursday, May 8, 2014

The Sickness That Never Ends...Until It Does!


As many of you know, about 2 months back, I got super sick over about a five day period. I had a high fever, bad abdominal cramps and was worried about dehydration and such. Thankfully, that ended and all was well in my world again. Unfortunately since then I have had couple day periods where I would not feel great, not as bad as before, but not well at all. Finally, last week after 3 long days in the heat with not a ton of water or food, I started to feel ill again. It persisted for about 5 days and I decided to see a doctor. He was super sweet, and kind but chalked it up to dehydration, which I felt was a symptom at this point not the cause. The next day I went to a hospital here to seek more answers. After navigating my way through registering, waiting, paying, and getting tests done, the doctor felt like he knew what was going on. I was scheduled the next day for a colonoscopy (which I didn't expect to have until I was old and definitely not in India) and a gastroscopy. Both went very smoothly and were done with no issue. Today I went to meet with my doctor again and get some medicine to begin treating me. It seems that I have colitis, which is common in western countries and young caucasians, and I was lucky enough to get it. I have started some medications to calm this flare up to even out and hopefully in a week will be on a regular med schedule. I have to meet with my doctor once more next week to review the biopsy report from the tests yesterday, where hopefully we can understand what type of colitis this is, whether it is an issue of a parasite I had before, or because of genetics and it's ulcerative. I wanted to wait until I had some answer to share this all with you. This has been a really tough last two weeks, and I know God has a lot to teach me through it. I just ask that you would continue to keep my health in prayer, I feel useless being at home in bed and I am getting bored, pray we find the right meds, give the doctor continued wisdom, and mentally just pray that this no longer has a hold on me and my call here. Thank you so much for supporting me and loving me, and joining me on this adventure! <3

3 comments:

  1. You are in my prayers. I had colitis as a college student and I know how painful it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abbey, I hope you are feeling better in no time. Praying for you. Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well people have always said you were mature for your age...i guess that means the colonoscopies start earlier too! ;)
    I love you and I know that with prayer and trust in God you will find the strength to get through this and be back feeling regulated and well in no time. You're a fighter and we are all here for you. <3

    ReplyDelete