Saturday, May 3, 2014

The Countless Things I Have Learned


Friends, it has been too long since the last time I wrote and for that I am sorry. Time has this weird way of slipping through my fingers, while some days feel they may never end. On that note, I looked at an app on my phone and it told me I have been in India for 109 days, which is 1/3 of my time here! How that happened, I have honestly no idea!

I often don't feel like I have a ton to say and that has a part of why I don't write, this city I live in, though exotic and different then anything I have ever known, has quickly become my home and my life, and so day to day has a rhythm similar to living anywhere in the world, I think. But since we are at such a big time mark regarding my length of stay here, I thought I would share some things I have learned in my short stay so far!

1. Squatty potties are easily used once you understand the art form.

2. Light skin and light hair, will make almost all babies here cry.

3. I love spicy food, and even more I love eating it with my hands! (Rice and all, I may eat pasta with my hands eventually!)

4. The car horns, although loud and overwhelming, actually have a meaning most of the time, and it's not something that can be taught you just have to pick up what each blast means. It sounds tricky, but really you understand it quicker than you'd think.

5. I don't need McDonald's french fries in my life, or really any fast food or fountain soda.

6. "Designer" pizza (domino's, pizza hut, etc.) will give you the taste of home if you need it.

7. There are certain days where it's okay to spend way more than you normally would on groceries, in order to have vermont cheddar cheese, and sour cream.

8. I crave red meat more than I thought I did at home.

9. I can banter and bobble my head with the auto's with the best of them.

10. I have way more inner strength than I ever thought possible.

11. God is so much closer than I ever gave Him credit for.

12. My family and support system is so much stronger than I ever believed it to be.

13. My personal worth is being found daily.

14. Family are the people you surround yourself with and who support you, blood or not.

15. I still love this country as much as the first day I arrived, though I still get frustrated some days.

16. Just because this is God's will for my life, doesn't make it easy, in fact I struggle often.

17. Through the struggle I have grown so much.

18. Missing home is something that never goes away, but eventually you find a way to realize that where you are is your home.

19. Don't drink the tap water...or eat at a restaurant your instincts say no to, believe me I found out the hard way.

20. Always bring toilet paper with you, otherwise you can use the sprayer or wiggle = ]

So this is a glimpse of some of the things I am learning about myself, about my surroundings, about my abilities and my weaknesses, and although I feel like I have learned a ton I know I still have so much more to learn.

Since my last update, Kaitlyn visited which was amazing and so awesome to have someone see my life here and to have a glimpse of what it's like. I traveled to Kerala, and stayed on a house boat which was so amazing, have been working, building relationships, and planning Shawna's visit in July! Things are going over all well! I would just ask that you pray for our team, we are very over extended in work and need some positions filled. I ask for prayer in our office as our field office director gets ready to leave and our new one gets ready to take over. Personally, just pray for my health I have had some stomach issues and such, and also just for this period of time in general. This 3 and 4 month mark often are the time of struggling and I can definitely sense it a bit, not wanting to return home but I am restless a bit, and definitely feel some spiritual stuff. And finally just pray for travel, over the next few months I will be traveling all over India and Asia, so as I prepare and go, just for logistics and safety. I miss you all and love you tons!

No comments:

Post a Comment